Wednesday 29 October 2014

Harvard referencing - consumerism (OUGD401)

I found a load of great quotes from books on consumerism that I can practice Harvard referencing on and possibly use in my essay.



Above shows a quote from the book...

"I am so sick of the design scene - the art stars, the gravity bending techno-prowess, the insatiable dissimulation of form and function. I am sick of the endless competitions, the must-go pat-on-the-back conferences, the slick publications full of trivial show-and-tells. I am sick of the Apollonian pixel-pushers, the corporate ass kissers, the self-appointed arbiters of good taste.

Lasn, K. (2006). Design anarchy. Vancouver, B.C.: Adbusters Media Foundation.

 "I know how to slip moods, nuances, values and perspectives right into your brain without you ever knowing it..."

Lasn, K. (2006). Design anarchy. Vancouver, B.C.: Adbusters Media Foundation.

"As a child living in an Australian immigration camp, indulgences were few and far between. I did however, manage to establish one private and totally extravagant ritual: a weekly bottle of ice cold Coca Cola. Purchased with my allowance, and always with a straw, which I could jiggle up and down to excite all the bubbles. When I left the camp, I discovered something that I never had imagined: a competitor for the cola crown. Something called - stupidly, I thought - Pepsi. It was not Coca Cola. I hated it. Pepsi was the ultimate betrayal."

Lasn, K. (2006). Design anarchy. Vancouver, B.C.: Adbusters Media Foundation.

"I suspect that many of the great cultural shifts that prepare the way for political change are largely aesthetic"

Ballard, J. (2004). Age of unreason, The Guardian.

"I did a rough calculation once:
-about ten thousand images flood into my brain every day
-But only about 1% of them are honest and genuine
-99% are corporate/commercial"

"I did a rough calculation once
-There are about one hundred thousand graphic designers in the world
-But not even one in a hundred of them do any real work 
-99% are commercial hacks

After the crash this will be reversed"

Lasn, K. (2006). Design anarchy. Vancouver, B.C.: Adbusters Media Foundation.

"Studies show the following reasons why people buy magazines on the newstand: 
Table of contents: 10%
Name or brand: 15%
Cover itself: 75%"

Lasn, K. (2006). Design anarchy. Vancouver, B.C.: Adbusters Media Foundation.


I found a ton of other amazing quotes I could use from this book for my essay and inspiration also like the one you can see above.

"A few years back, as I was visiting a touring exhibit called 'Eternal Egypt' with my ten year old son, it occurred to me that while the ancient Egyptians built great monuments to endure for countless generations, just about everything we produce in North America is made to break. If human history reserves a privileged place for the Egyptians because of their rich conception of the afterlife, what place will it reserve for people who, in their seeming worship of convenience and greed, left behind mountains of electronic debris? What can be said of a culture whose legacies to the future are mounds of hazardous materials and poisoned water supply? Will America's pyramids be of waste? The point of this book is to raise this troubling question."

Slade, G. (2006). Made to break. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press. 










No comments:

Post a Comment