Saturday 2 May 2015

branding - frosty jacks

I initially wanted to do quite an ornate design for my re-brand as some of the research into spirit bottles included some really intricate and beautiful designs. I started by hand rendering some type sketches.





 

I used these sketches and begun creating a digital version. Unfortunately I didn't finish this as after further research I realised a more minimal approach would be more appropriate.



I wanted a high class look but felt the ornate script style might make it a little un-approachable and targeted at a small market. I looked at the branding by Snask for the pang pang brewery, they used hand drawn looking typography to give a high class but personal look. I think the use of hand drawn looking type gives that personal feeling, the idea someone has 'hand crafted' something appeals to people as they value the effort of production as much as the product its-self, giving more respect to the brand.


I experimented further with this idea trying out loads of different textures out for effectiveness. I presented these initial designs to the class and people said they actually preferred the idea of using a sans serif typeface to display professionalism and timelessness. I agreed that this might be a better route as I believe having a sans serif font would keep the brand consistent as you could use it for both titles and body copy.

I eventually decided on Futura as my final typeface. I think the perfect geometrical shapes used to create the typeface show balance and 'perfection' which would reflect well on the brand personality.

The other feedback I got from the crit was that due to the name 'frosty jacks' I should try and incorporate the feeling of coldness somehow. This could then be used as part of the brand appeal, 'ice cold cider' sounds perfect for a hot day.




This was an initial design experiment using the feedback from the crit as my fuel. I used Futura and decided a geometrical theme due to the structure of the font would look really clean and fitting. I experimented with shape and pattern to create something contemporary and clean looking.




I liked the simplicity of the previous design but I wanted to find a mid point between this and the ornate design styles you see on high class spirits and alcohol. I experimented with creating a repeat pattern out of the snowflake I had on the last design.

This is one variation of the pattern I created. I tried out this rustic look once again going for adding a personal touch to the design but I decided a more slick even stroke weight design would make it look balanced and high class.

I created some variations of the pattern so if the brand were to create different flavours etc. the pattern could change slightly but still be recognisable. 

Another rustic looking variation.

A more rounded version of the design. This one reminds me slightly of flowers, could be appropriate for a fruity/flowery flavoured cider variation.

I experimented with combining the two design styles. But once again decided a sans serif and equal stroke width design would be more slick and appealing to my target audience.





Another variation of the design that could be used for flavours/limited editions.

I also experimented with adding a gradient but this wasn't used due to the printing method i eventually chose.

Last flavour design variation.



I experimented with type placement on my design but then decided a portrait label would fit the shape of the bottle better and centrally aligned type would allow you to be able to read the full label from a front view when the product is on the shelf.







I then created this gif to show how the label would hopefully look on the bottle and the different flavour variations effectiveness. As you can see each variation is different but not enough to make the brand un-recognisable from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment