Monday 4 May 2015

OUGD401 module evaluation

This module has taught me the importance of historic and contextual research and how it applies to graphic design practice. Exploring consumerism has given me the opportunity to learn about a topic I initially didn't see as appealing or even related to graphic design. I now have a fairly broad view on the topic and have found myself really interested in everything that surrounds it. Its something that impacts everyone so largely but most are completely oblivious of. 

I can also see really clearly how consumerism links really closely with design practice. I think a lot of designers and advertising companies are either unaware to a certain extent of consumerism and its negative effects on society. I think with my new knowledge of its negatives on peoples lives I will try create design that considers morals and how it will effect people subconsciously. I now also have a greater understanding of how certain elements of branding can be adapted to be appealing to consumers and how people strive for a better life through buying certain products. A lot of brands quite easily play on this idea through things as simple as colour theory.

I initially found the prospect of reading and writing an essay pretty daunting and boring. But looking back I have learnt so much valuable information i'm really glad I know now. Particularly the discovery the discovery of Adbusters author Kalle Lasn has been really inspiring to me and I will continue reading the books in the future. It makes you think about the bigger picture and I now feel I want to impact the world in a positive way that uplifts people rather than convinces them they need to change. 

I know my writing skills still need a lot of improvement as I have the tendency to slip into a casual tone of voice. Despite this I feel over this module they have improved and will continue to do so. I am considering magazine production as a future career and producing my own content could be a part of this so more COP tasks and essays will help improve my skills to do this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment