Monday 18 April 2016

~ experimental publication designs ~




I did some initial research into editorial design to give me an idea of appropriate layouts for my publication. My initial ideas for the content within the publication were...

- Short zine introducing the campaign
- Book of case studies surrounding the issue of gender in-equality
- History/timeline of female body hair


This is my initial experimental publication design using case studies I researched and quotes from the essay & public figures on the issue.














My case studies/publication included; Donald Trump, Instagram nipple in-equality, in-equality from the male perspective, The bechdel test, Body hair, American apparel pubic hair campaign, 50 shades of grey and relevant images displaying creative reactions to the issues surrounding the objectification of women.

The publication successfully shows links between my essay and the body of practical work as a whole and was a good starting point for making my research more direct and better informed but I felt it didn't bring much to the campaign its-self as it covered too many issues. I needed to produce something more directly about the body hair issue to promote the campaign successfully.



For my second idea I collected a body of facts that created a timeline about the history of female body hair within society. 

1. Society’s fixation with womens hairless bodies is something that has existed long before Sex and the City. Ancient Egyptians considered pubic hair to be uncivilized and removed it with razors made out of flint. But since then the bush has made comings and goings through history.

2. Merkins, or pubic wigs, were originally worn by prostitutes who had shaved to prevent crabs or to cover up signs of sexually transmitted diseases. The merkin can be tracked back to the 1400's, but they were especially popular in modest Victorian times when women were expected to have hair down there. Now they are worn by actors in period pieces where a big, flowing bush would have been en trend.

3. The invention of the bikini was a great one, but it lead to having to deal with the bikini line. By the 1960's most women wearing bikinis were shaving, waxing or Nairing the pubic hair on their bikini line.

4. In June of 1970, Penthouse was the first magazine to publish photos showing hints of pubic hair, almost to the point of invisibility. Nine months later, their rival Playboy started showing off a few wisps of bush. In January 1971, Liv Lindeland's Playboy pictorial was the first to feature fully visible bush. After that, the bush just kept on growing and flowing on the pages of snuff mags and the crotches of women.

5. In 1987, when Madonna was on her "Who's That Girl" World Tour (presumably with full bush), Jocely, Jonice, Janea, Joyce, Jussara, Juracy, and Judseia Padilha opened the appropriately named J. Sisters salon in Midtown Manhattan, where they began offering what they called the "Brazilian wax." The service remained unpopular until an episode of "Sex and the City" in the year 200 when Carrie Bradshaw waxed it all off. That was all it took for bald to become beautiful. 

This research was much more relevant and very helpful towards producing my final design but I still felt it was straying from the point a little and it was important to keep my campaign as snappy and to the point as possible.

I decided to look back at my essay question to ensure my practical work was answering the question as well as possible. What effect does sexuality (sexual revolution) have on the creative industry? A large consideration within this brief needed to be the link to the creative industries. I decided a zine was the quickest and most effective way of discussing the points and I could also collect and include images that answer the question and discuss the issue created by artists within the zine (keeping it linked closely to the essay).





No comments:

Post a Comment