Monday 2 January 2017

~ COP Practical - change of idea ~

The magazine idea for the practical although well informed by the dissertation has been proving difficult to execute as everyone is too busy with their own dissertations to submit content/work.

Instead i've decided to do another of my initial ideas -

Produce a pledge/manifesto for advertising agencies to sign to ensure protection of LGBT+ people in terms of representation. The rules of the manifesto will be informed by my research and things learnt within my dissertation and questionare. 






Prior to my decision to change this brief I created some logo/branding for the magazine. This can be developed and changed to fit the new brief. 

The Pledge

- We pledge to be inclusive of LGBT+ individuals within our advertising

- We will do so not purely for commercial reasons but to promote visibility and acceptance

- We refuse to feature queer people just for a 'trend' or to capitalise on the market

- When creating these representations I will do so in an informed way - contact with LGBT+ individuals themselves, representing minorities, accuracy rather than stereotypes. 

- We vow to support LGBT+ establishments, charities and organisations 

- We understand the lack of positive representation in advertising & media has a negative effect on the queer community



Because the nature of the brief is to do with subcultures, being different I want to reflect this by producing an identity for the manifesto that is almost 'anti design' or certainly anti modernism. I wont follow a grid or any specific guidelines within. This idea also mirrors that of the LGBT magazines seen in my research that use content over visual pleasure. I still want my pledge to be visually appealing but follow design styles used in my research.






These styles use 
- Type on a curved path
- Outlined type
- Stretched type
- Coloured stock
- Mainly black ink only printed
- Type and information focused
- Mixture of typefaces
- Typewriter
- Hilighted

For the presentation and deliverables of this brief I will create both an online platform for the manifesto and a publication version that can be sent out to potential signers.

Consideration into promotional material and further collateral - produce t-shirts, posters and badges in the style of those found in the FAN archives; its a traditional activism based way of spreading the word about a project, backed up by research in the essay.


No comments:

Post a Comment