Wednesday 11 January 2017

~ Timeplan in reveiw ~

Have I stuck to my original time plan well?

06/10/2016 - Module briefing

Week one - Initial research and decide on a question

13/10/2016 - Tutorial one - discuss question and have an essay plan/structure and plan for research 

Week 2 - Begin reading and researching chosen question

Week 3 - Primary research - visit to FAN archives

17/11/2016 - Progress tutorial two - Have first draft (3000+ words written) and a clear plan and lots of research done for the rest of the dissertation

27/11/2016 - Turnitin submission for interim draft submission

01/12/2016 - Tutorial three - Discuss first draft and potential initial ideas for practical outcome

05/12/2016 - Re-briefing

Christmas break - Have full dissertation at a second draft level - around 9000 words completed with exception of conclusion - have practical research complete and begin to design

04/01/2017 - Submission briefing

Two weeks til submission - Make final edits to dissertation, bind final draft, produce physical work and design boards

12/01/2017 - Submit


I feel my time management during this module has been for the most part very successful. I began reading material and research in the summer. By the time the module was briefed/I had my first tutorial; I had the direction needed to begin primary research. I actually managed to conduct two methods of primary research; FAN visit (informed practical work) & the questionnaire (informed dissertation content & practical idea).

The one time I ran into difficulties was when trying to balance practical with the writing of the dissertation. I had planned to begin the practical whilst at a midpoint in my writing. This didn't end up being the case. As my dissertation and areas of research developed whilst I wrote and discovered more my practical ideas had to change with it. This meant I had to change my practical brief completely after already starting it; due to a change of direction within the theoretical writing. 

This left me with less time towards the end to complete my practical than I had previously hoped for. When I ran into issues with printing the lack of time made the situation very stressful. In reflection I would of aimed to finish the writing part a little earlier to allow for more issues. It meant sacrificing the actual production of my collateral; but I still managed to explore how these would of been produced and create mock-ups, fortunately. 

All in all I feel I spaced out the module well, ensuring I was always researching something at all times. My research tended to lead on from on and other which meant some time scales were quite fluid. I managed to balance further research with writing really well and overall i'm really pleased with myself as this is a huge improvement from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment